Thursday, September 30, 2010

Passion in the classroom

Passion: A strong and barely controllable emotion

The most rememberable classes for me were the classes that had teachers who had 100% legitimate enthusiasm in their subject. I remember them so distinctly because of how the teacher went about leading the class. It's so unbelievably obvious to see if a teacher has a passion for what they teach or not. So many elements seem to apply when it comes to passion in the classroom. From dynamics of voice, to body language, these natural human tendencies should be used to their full potential in order to emphasize whatever the teacher is instructing. Engaging in the students and putting that extra effort into making sure that the student is learning the material is showing passion. Relating to the students personalities and adapting your learning style to how the students learn can separate a passionate teacher from a non-motivated one.
I had a teacher my Junior year of high school who had a great sense of passion for what he did. He went way beyond the 'norm' of how to teach a psychology class. Whether is was playing his guitar, jumping on desks, applying the information to actual situations, or putting us in a hands on situation to learn, he did it. It's either you can talk and feed bland information, or you physicalize and incorporate other elements into your lesson. That way, you can make any topic interesting and fun to learn. You also give the student a good and fun foundation on that topic. That way the students will think of that topic in the same way that they retained it, fun and interesting.
This may go for a lot of former or current students, but I had very poor math experiences in the past. It is a hard topic to make interesting, but the personality of my teachers and their lack of enthusiasm really put a damper on my foundational experience with mathematics. Now I only see math as boring and, sometimes, pointless. It was an obvious negative impact on me, and it took a lot to make me enjoy even the concept of math again. I believe some teachers forget how much of an impact they're actually playing  on students. I know I've been going on about this 'foundational experience' concept, but I really believe it's really important to evaluate. A teacher can directly impact a students life for the better or worse. They could de-motivate a future scientist, or motivate a future musician. That sense of passion as to be in the teaching position, or it will directly change the youths future for the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment